NOTE: I am offering therapy sessions via HIPAA compliant tele-health platform (SecureVideo.com) during the COVID-19 pandemic and “stay at home” quarantine. Please contact me for further details.
The mission and purpose of my practice at SomaticWise is to support the well being of life on this planet.
One major focus is using my skill set to help people heal from stress, overwhelm and trauma.
Somatic Psychotherapy is effective for helping clients learn to:
* Reduce or eliminate symptoms;
* Function better at work, home and at play;
* Increase their sense of vitality and liveliness;
* Feel more comfortable in their own skin and more confident in the world.
The primary therapeutic method I practice is called Somatic Experiencing, or SE. I am also trained in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). With these tools, I help people learn the language of their unconscious minds and bodies. Then we can work effectively in partnership with the body, to reduce or eliminate the symptoms of traumatic stress.
It’s my firm belief that it’s essential to include the body’s feelings and reactions in therapy. Why is that? Because that’s the primary place where the trauma lives. That’s why it’s nearly impossible to “think” trauma away! The body’s survival responses are much more powerful than the thought process.
Our physical bodies contain incredibly powerful energy! For some people, it’s nearly explosive. We are talking about survival energy here, and that is our most potent. It is what enables a five foot two inch tall mother to lift a car off of her child. Due to the profound impact of these survival states, and how tricky it can be to unwind them, an experienced practitioner is needed to help restore a good state of self-regulation in the mind, body and spirit.
Here are issues I frequently work with:
* Depression and anxiety
* Low motivation
* Eating problems and substance abuse
* Eco-anxiety, stress, despair about the state of the world/environment
* Trauma and post-traumatic stress/PTSD
* Racism, oppression, bullying, economic or other systemic stressors
* Relationship difficulties, difficulty relating to others; feeling disconnected or alone
* Difficulty in sensing or managing emotions (numbing, flooding)
* Childhoods that might have seemed okay, but were actually kind of rough in subtle ways
* Childhoods that were clearly difficult in some way(s)
Ecopsychology involves healing the relationships between people and nature. Since our biosphere and ecosystems are what makes life possible on this planet, I see this as very important work. In practice, I find that deepening connections with nature is often a big support in people’s self-regulation work.
In short, for those who are interested, Nature helps us feel good; people are drawn to nature, and it supports our very lives.
Please do read my Disclaimer/Privacy (terms and conditions) page.
Writings, Social Media, Contacting Me
You’re welcome to contact me to discuss therapy for stress, trauma, anxiety, or depression, and other issues. My contact information is at the bottom of the “About Me” page on this website.
For a more in depth sense of how I work, please feel free to look at my writings about stress, trauma, trauma healing, and ecopsychology.
These articles are all linked at the bottom of my GoodTherapy.org page.
You can follow me on Twitter: @somaticwise or tune in to my YouTube channel: SomaticWise
Here is a video in which I explain what I do here at my practice, and why: